March 23, 2009

Mind your Language - a blast from my past

Isabel commented with me last Saturday about these british videos she'd found on Youtube about a multiracial English class in England, and I must admit it sounded kinda familiar. But when she sent me the links today, I realized It was Mind your Language, a program I used to watch when I was a teenager living in South Africa. To be perfectly honest, it was already an old series then (Youtube tells me that the first episode aired the day after I was born, on December 30th, 1977!), and it was mostly my dad who watched it and we kinda looked at it, as I never thought I'd become an English teacher then - I was sure I'd bee a psychologist...

Anyway, I'm posting the 3 parts of the first episode here, and there are lots of laugh-out-loud moments, of the "OMG, something like this has TOTALLY hapened to me before" kind... Don't decide not to watch this because it looks old - the comedy is very real, especially for us teachers, and it's british humor (or should I say humour?), after all... My favorite part is the third, where they go through the VERB TO BE!!

So, here it is:







Here's the "official" Youtube description:

For more videos http://myspace.com/ferrytrance
Original Air Date: 30 December 1977
In the pilot episode, Mr. Jeremy Brown begins teaching an English class to a diverse group of ten foreign adult students in London, hailing from nine different countries. From Europe come two au pairs, the flirtatious and beautiful Danielle (France) and prim and proper Anna (Germany), two young single men, Giovanni (Italy) and Max (Greece) and a laid-back middle-aged bartender, Juan (Spain), who speaks no English at all. From Asia, come a revolutionary-minded secretary from the Chinese Embassy (Su-Li), a Japanese businessman (Taro) as well as three students from the Subcontinent, a devout Sikh (Ranjeet) and an unemployed Pakistani (Ali), who are constantly at each other's threats, and finally a Hindi-speaking housewife (Jamila) who can't speak a word of English.



Thanks a lot, Isabel!

Later!

:)

No comments:

Post a Comment